Truffles are a variety of subterranean fungus which are both highly sought after and extremely difficult to find. They grow on the roots of trees along the Mediterranean (Spain, southern France and Italy), most notably on Holm Oak and Hazel trees. While there are more than 20 species of truffles found around Europe, only a very select few have real culinary value. In Spain the predominate variety is the Tuber Melanosporum, the famous black truffle, which is harvested in winter time and can easily fetch over 700 euros per kilo. It is the second most valuable truffle in the world, behind only the white truffle of Italy. Black truffles have a well-deserved place of honor due to their intense and unique aroma which imparts an incomparable flavor to any dish in which it is used.
This Truffle 4-day tour is a trip into the heart of Spain to discover one of the hidden treasures of Spain's vibrant culinary scene: Truffles!
We've put together a tour that allows you to discover more about the "black gold" of Spanish cuisine. But we go beyond just learning about them and tasting them (which you will do at a special truffle-themed meal), inviting you to participate in a cooking workshop with a local chef, visiting a truffle market where you can meet the farmers and buy truffles, and even giving you the chance to get your hands dirty - literally! - as we take you out truffle hunting with a local farmer and his dog! And the tour takes in more than just truffles, as we will also dive into the world of Spanish wine, visiting some local wineries to taste some of the best wines from one of Spain's up-and-coming wine regions.
DATES: From December 1-4, 2016 to March 9-12, 2017. All weekends Thursday to Sunday.
THE TOUR STARTS AND FINISHES IN BARCELONA
Contact us if you want to join this open tour or if you want to have a private truffle tour at another time dates* we can personalize your tour to your needs and preferences.
THE TOUR INCLUDES:
- Private transportation and transfers during all the itinerary.
- All expenses related to the transportation included (gas, tolls, etc).
- A The Spanish Touch guide (which would also be the driver) during all the trip.
- Entrance fees to all the sites as per itinerary (truffle market, wineries) and tastings in each winery.
- Private guided tours as per itinerary:
- Truffle Hunting.
- Cooking class with truffles.
- All breakfast at your hotel.
- A truffle breakfast with a truffle farmer.
- Truffle dinner after the cooking class.
- Lunch at a winery on the first day.
- A ‘calçotada’ lunch.
- 4-star hotel accomodation with breakfast included.
- All taxes and fees included as per itinerary.
> seasonal offer! Grape Stomping Harvest Experience in Barcelona
> new! The Sweet Side of Barcelona
> seasonal offer! Truffle Tour
> seasonal offer! Mushroom Hunting Tour
> seasonal offer! Saffron Tour